Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Repentance and Vows

Finally, I know my three personal vows and they have gotten clearer and clearer.

I could finally make genuine and authentic vows with direction, breaking free from the chains of murkiness and wrong decisions from youth. I have lived the last 15 years in excess and in satisfying desires ~ especially about seeking wealth, spending most of my time sleeping or resting, quenching physical needs, not fully living up to my commitments and responsibility, running away from responsibilities once they become too heavy and unbearable, not following up on my vows - they are just promises not fulfilled.

Looking back and reflecting on my past, I was not so proud of it, I was damaged and sick (emotionally, physically, psychologically, mentally, spiritually) seemingly unworthy. I started an ideal in my mind, expectations that I grew inside my mind and my body and my soul; setting up goals from a very worldly perspective. The world of achievement, social recognition, fame, not knowing that these dreams and goals are not really worth having in the long run.

It took a long time to realize that I was sick (soul-sick, psychologically and mentally and most of all spiritually) and that I didn't realize I needed a community to save me and heal me, but life is very kind and faithful and loving, those woes I have recognized and even haven't recognized are known by life, each and every single one of them. So, in the deep darkness of ocean of sickness, I flailed, I tried to swim but then I drowned and then in the darkness, I was so lost and confused. Turning my back on the dream that really didn't support my development as a human being. Then as the dream vanish, my direction also vanished.

Maybe my parents' prayers and support really work. I found Tzu Chi or should I say Tzu Chi found me. I am very blessed to be given a Spiritual Master. I am very blessed. Finding a very strong spiritual support is my blessing and I will forever and eternally be grateful to their strong solid support. Finding Tzu Chi is just the beginning of my healing. Just maybe the start to half of the story. Of course, there is the process of healing and oh my, did I fail every time in fulfilling my obligations and responsibilities!

The lifestyle of Tzu Chi was something of a big life adjustment to me. Very very big adjustment. I was under the care and supervision of my achi. Being a very stubborn young woman, I never listened to her and never really paid much attention to all her guidance and direction. Looking back, I was ashamed and filled with self-disappointment. I really wasted my opportunity in valuing her guidance. I was terrible. I couldn't even go to work for a full week and most of the time I clocked in late. My respect for time and punctual-ness was not there in my early 20s, I was polluted by mindset and poison of college-centric ego. 

I didn't even know how my achi got the strength and patience to welcome me in the office when I got there late or when I came back from long habitual absences. I know the feeling. I know the darkness. I know self-doubt and I know being irresponsible. I admit I was that bad before. I deeply deeply repent to my achi for breaking her trust and for breaking her heart, all the time.

I also didn't finish all the tasks given to me. I just disappear. I just didn't listen to her at all. I didn't have self-respect, how can I expect people to respect me? But my achi, in all her kindness and saint-like patience, she kept on accepting me again and again.

So, yes one of my vows and repentance is about her. 

I deeply deeply repent for letting my challenges get the best of me. I deeply repent for all the promises that I didn't deliver. I deeply repent for all the promises that I have abandoned.

Then I vow that I may have the same virtue in keeping the saint-like patience and trust and care to all the people going through heartache, soul-ache, sickness in all its forms. I vow that I may have the virtue of holding on to faith and love when life gets dark and heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your reaction here --->