Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Up, down, in, out of the great wave

*I am not a skillful water carrier, but I learn to carry love ♥♪

I remember writing days ago that I plead to the waves that they be gentler, but I guess that wish requires more than just casual asking, we must pray harder for it. The elements composing waves: water and wind, are both forces of nature that humans cannot control. When these two forces collide, we can only watch in awe how they disrupt human structures/communities. Which brings to mind the discussion this morning in my Kasaysayan 101 class (History) about the Minoan Civilisation. Historians placed this civilisation as the basis for European Civilisation, I can just imagine how these Minoan subjects would feel today if they learn that they are looked upon by the European population as their heritage, the fragile root in which the Western Civilisation bloomed.

Of course King Minos, the priest king, is the leader -- said to be the son of Europa and Zeus. The civilisation thrived for thousands of years, mmm, need to do some background check though. But what I am driving at is that the GREAT Minoan Civilisation fell, in part, because of the explosion of a volcano called Thera, great waves upon waves swallowed the expanding civilisation, quakes shook the very foundation of their community, chaos and confusion reigned. Also there were some human unrest and rebellion happening inside the kingdom, so aside from natural calamities, the fall was caused by revolution and internal struggles as well.

Now I connect this to the great big wave that I am feeling internally. Maybe revolution from the inside. Maybe conflict. Maybe personal struggle. I thought it was easy to contain inner struggles, but it is really REALLY difficult. So this is a form of release for me, writing, telling you guys about how I visualise things and how I tend to connect outside realities from my inner reflections. Just like with the Minoan Civilisation, it collapsed and it fell apart, but it made way for the rise of the Classical Western Civilisation, a testament that after the pain, after the deluge, after the confusion, disruption and chaos, there is new life -- a better life -- a better tomorrow waiting.

Who knows, maybe the great classical phase is just waiting around the corner ^^
*Line from the song Aquarius by Regina Spektor
**for those interested, further reading on Fall of Minoan Civilisation can be found here on BBC report.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your reaction here --->