Thursday, April 29, 2021

A project and a commitment

“That’s how Yubaba controls you... by stealing your name." - Haku, Spirited Away


When I was younger, I heard that naming people, pets, things or other possessions is very important. It was a kind of tradition passed on in my family especially when we got pets. Most of the pets we had were accidental, these pets chose us, not the other way around. The past pets we had were: kittens, birds, rabbits, puppies, I remember we didn't name these pets yet when other family member haven't seen them. So it was important that they were recognized and accepted first before we name them.

We usually based the names of these pets on their weird characters or their physical characteristics. There were names like: mingming, B1 and B2, porgitania, ali etc. Years passed, and I still hold naming of things and people very important. For example, for possessions, I name them depending on their use: for my phones, usually they have two names: Hermes Cadmus etc. For my usb they are a bit more elaborate like: Calligeneia. For my camera: Cleopatra. Of course, my laptop has a name. Also, my diary has names too. 

Well, actually the point of my post is that I have made up my mind that I won't name anyone near my living space or anyone I treat important, (or anything) carelessly. Which brings me to the importance of etymology. I was told by my friends that most of the name I used are either from Greek Mythology or other forms of gods/goddesses of the ancient world. Yeah, I am guilty of that. But also, I am expanding my horizons in naming objects or people, that's why my research now involves a lot about world literature on deities and heroes. 

Also, yeah, I have a long list of research topics that I am starting now. I feel that it will take a long time of research, as I have a lot of questions in my life right now. But I am just beginning to collect a lot of information by looking at many books and of course printing them. I feel like this research journey will cover 2 decades, something that I really have to commit myself into. I am actually excited, and I commit to report my research and realizations in this blog, because I want to update you my dear readers about what I have been discovering and learning. 

I hope you will join me in this very long journey and perhaps we can learn together as we follow this great quest of search for truth and answers. I will definitely put out some tags so you can follow me into these different topics that I am diving into.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your reaction here --->